So... That Happened
May 6, 2002

On a basic Friday of a basic week, I was laid off from Tapehouse Toons. I can’t say I was too surprised or even terribly upset, but it was the usual strange, mismanagement style in which it was done that bothered me. The “boss” had been having closed door meetings with just about everyone in the office since the day started. I asked a couple people what was going on after their meeting but they wouldn’t say. At 5:26pm the “boss” came into my office and I said “It’s my turn now”. I think he was a bit surprised, like he didn’t think everyone noticed all the meetings going on. He basically said things were really slow, money was tight, the industry as a whole was bad and he was laying me off. That day. It was my last.

So basically everyone in the office knew before I did. I still don’t know how I feel about that. I think except maybe executives and maybe accounting, the employee should know first. But also that it was at 5:30pm!!! Any other week it wouldn’t have been so annoying but this particular day a bunch of us were supposed to leave at 5:45 to go to the opening night of “Spider Man”. This gave me about 20 minutes to back-up and erase all my personal stuff on the computer and pack-up my entire office! Yikes!

Luckily a few weeks earlier I had gotten slightly upset at the company, seriously considering quitting and had cleared most of my personal things out of my office. For anyone who has seen me work, it is usually FULL of things, photos, knick knacks. I like to make it home. If I had not done the previous clearing this would have been a horrible task.

Then I had to trapse off to Times Square, all my worldly office belongings in a big bag hoping my coworkers hadn’t told Alex of my employment demise. I finally got there and told him and then watched the movie.

It was a very fun & enjoyable movie (except the Green Goblin) but it was overshadowed by the days events. This seems to be a trend in my life. When we went to see Moulin Rouge last year we found out 2 minutes before the lights went down that we were not going to get the apartment we wanted. =( It still was the best film of the year, if not many years, but it was not at the time a joyous occasion.

It was probably for the best. I wasn’t truly happy there and now have time to enjoy this amazing city before we head on to California. Most of the people I met there are really great and I hope to keep in touch with them for years to come. It was a good place to work in the City and a good time to be gone.

See PHOTOS of my work mates at Tapehouse Toons

return to Tales